Sunday, May 3, 2009

People are Complicated

I realize I've stopped updating this as often as before, sorry. It's not that I don't want to, it's just that life is shifting from new adventures and stories into a normal life of ups and downs in relationships, which are harder to write about. I'm learning more clearly than I ever have how love can be mingled with incredible pain. But it's amazing to develop deep friendships with people and grow in a relationship with God through the process. Ha, it's really hard to express all this. I'm still so unbelievably content here, happier than I've ever been, but I'm also going through this rough patch, basically getting my heart broken, I suppose.

The pastor of Hope Chapel passed away a week ago. Pr. Kit battled leukemia for over a year, and we were having a Friday night service to celebrate him when he died. He had been preaching up until that point, but that Friday he was too weak to come to church, and he died in the middle of the service while all these people were getting up to say how much he impacted their lives. I never met him, but he seems like an incredible man, and it was staggering when Pastor Ben announced at the end of the service that he had just died. I went to his memorial service last Thursday, and that was cool--more rejoicing than mourning.

Last night Jeanie and David and I went to a birthday party for Brook and his twin sister Spring (haha, yes, they are both named after water. Apparently their mom's kind of a hippie), which had a salsa theme--there was a lesson and then just dancing. It was a lot of fun. I really, really enjoy that group of friends. They're so friendly, inclusive, crazy and chill at the same time. Brook's brother Daniel is visiting from CA--he's a filmmaker, won a Sundance award, knows Greg Laswell. So cool! It's weird how everyone on Maui is connected. That customer who asked me out was there, and I was like, crap, he's probably wondering where my boyfriend is, the one who wouldn't be too happy if I went on a date with him. Awkward.

I've been pretty dang busy, but there's not much to say about that...working, bonding with people--friends, co-workers, customers--stressing about relationships.... Yup.

No comments: