Saturday, April 4, 2009

Parents, Engagements, Hunchbacks, and Friday Fun

Parents: My parents arrived on Wednesday! It appears that it will be hard for us to spend a lot of time together because our schedules are opposite and I live on the other side of the island and they have no car…. But it’s nice just knowing that they’re nearby. I hung out on the beach with them a bit the other day, and today they took the bus up to Paia to see my little life here.

Engagements: Two of our friends got engaged! To each other, that is. We were friends with both Loretta and Onassis before they ever met, which is kind of strange. They just met two months ago and are planning to get married on April 15th. Soooooo fast. It kind of makes sense for them to get married right now because her massage therapy school is done and he’s taking a new job in Texas, but I totally can’t imagine moving so quickly.

Hunchbacks: Loretta gave Jeanie and me massages the other night as kind of a thanks for driving her from Makawao to Kihei once or twice a week, and she told me that she’s only seen the kind of back problems I have on elderly people, overweight people, or people who’ve been in really bad accidents. Basically I have a hunchback. Great.

Friday Fun: Yesterday was as great as an entirely free Friday could be. First, Jeanie and I slept in and went on a 7-ish mile hike in a huge forest in Makawao. Then we had a break in the middle to eat burritos at this cool little restaurant, shower, and get ready for church. We picked my parents up in Kihei and did the church thing, then hung out with the same people we’ve spent the last few Friday nights with. Went to a new (new for us) sushi place in Kahului (the tiger roll is sooooo good!), came back to Paia with David and Brook, built a little fire on the beach, and ended up just sitting out there talking until past 5 a.m. I am getting into a bad habit of not sleeping on Friday nights…. But it’s worth it.

Click the picture below to see new photos in my facebook album (you have to go to the second and third page to see them)!


No comments: