Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Just a few weeks to go!

I'm trying not to be too excited to leave Thailand. Because really, I will be sad to leave. Overall, it has been an awesome experience. And yet it's hard not to be SO excited to visit the Philippines, to be back in Minnesota for a couple months, and to start grad school.

Classes are going well. My writing class is better than I thought it would be, though I still come up with a LOT of revisions as I'm teaching. It seems too good to be true that I wrote a 70-page book for a 30-hour class and the students are actually gaining something from it. And my level 1 class is awesome. I knew most of them before we started, so it's been an easy, fun transition. People are in and out of Santisuk so much. Even the level 1 students I started with in February have only one more month and they'll be done studying here! It must be hard on the long-term staff and teachers to see so many people come and go.

This last weekend, Isaac and I hung out with Charles and Sally, two of the teachers here. She is Thai and he is Irish (he actually usually teaches at another school, but they were desperate for extra teachers here this month). We went to their apartment and played video games and then went bowling. It was fun (and also a little weird) to do some "couple" activities. With our teaching schedules, Isaac and I don't get nearly enough time together, it seems. We have a few hours in the mornings, but it's not long enough to really go anywhere (not to mention all the interesting places to go are dangerous with the political riots and stuff). It's SO GOOD to have him here, I'm not complaining, it's just tiring always craving longer chunks of time alone together. That's another reason I look forward to the Philippines and Minnesota.

No comments: