Tuesday, May 11, 2010

The end already?

Time's almost up! I have a problem where right before I leave a place (not like the day before I go but a few weeks or months before, depending on how long I'm in the place), I am so eager to take off. I think in a few weeks, I'll miss Thailand a ton, but right now I'm starting to check out and get tired by how much emotional work it takes to live here. Sure, I'm definitely sad to leave people and this city, but all the little things that come with living somewhere and shouldn't be annoying (but are) are starting to kick in big time. If I was planning to be here a year or more, I'd fight through this stage, but right now it's so much easier to get ready to leave.

I'm actually starting to get really nostalgic about Maui. Trust me, I remember how miserable the last few months were, and I don't want to go back, but the memories and feelings and excitement and beauty of our year there are getting stronger. I guess it takes leaving a place to really appreciate it (or unrealistically romanticize it, more likely).

All that said, I am still learning to be "present" in the place I'm actually in. And it's good.

The last week or two have been so busy! I've had meals out with people a bunch of times; went with Rung on a fun weekend trip to Vientiane, Laos, to renew my visa (unfortunately, they only gave me two weeks, so I have to make a day trip next weekend to Cambodia to get another one); went to Hua Hin, a supposedly great beach about three hours south of here (I'm going to give Thailand the benefit of the doubt and say that I still imagine the beaches in Pukhet are great); and went to Ampawa floating market with some students. Aside from some serious emotional lows (not sure about putting details on my blog), it feels good to know I'm getting quality time with people here before I leave.

Tomorrow is the last day of my writing class, and next Tuesday is the last day of my level 1 class. Wow!

Oh, also, I have an interview tomorrow night on Skype with the Writers' Center at EWU. I'm really hoping to get a GSA there!! The tuition break and stipend wouldn't kick in until second quarter, but it would still help sooooo much.

1 comment:

Senia said...

I was happy to see an update! Enjoy your last days in Thailand. Looking forward to seeing you soon -- late June or July!