Thursday, May 27, 2010

Philippines

Our last week in Bangkok was interesting. The violence kept getting worse, so they issued a city-wide curfew between 8 and 6 for a day and then 9-5 for four more days. It seems like it worked, because Bangkok is a lot calmer now. On top of that, I got really sick (sore throat, cough, fever), so I spent most of my last few days there in our apartment. I did manage to finish teaching my class (though Isaac had to come in and do the final because my voice was cutting in and out) and had several goodbye parties with classes and Santisuk staff. Rung, Nan, Awn, Kwang, and Tai brought us to the airport late Saturday night, and I'll admit there were several tears shed (including mine).

And then it was off to the Philippines! We took off in a thunder storm, and it was super turbulent. I really thought we might die. As soon as we got to Cebu, Martha and her Ate (who took care of all the kids when they were little and now is still a good family friend) picked us up and we took a beautiful van ride and a ferry to Bantayan Island to meet the rest of the family. The Nordines are having a family reunion for Martha's parents' 40th anniversary, so we got to join in with all of them (Martha, her two brothers, sister-in-law, and two little nieces). It was relaxing and fun until I got even sicker. Today is our first day back in Cebu City, and I've been staying inside sleeping all day. :( Tomorrow I'll go to the hospital, because it's just wrong to be this sick for two whole weeks.

From what I've seen of the Philippines, I love it. I immediately thought it was more beautiful than Thailand, and it reminds me even more of Kenya. I especially love the unique varieties of...cars...they have here. The public transportation is jeepneys, originally old military jeeps turned into buses. They're like matatus in Kenya, colorful and crowded. And then there were all these tiny car/motorcycle/bike contraptions on the island.

It's great to see Martha again. It's been a year and a half! The group dynamics have worked out pretty well--me, Isaac, Martha, and her brother Will get along and have fun together.

And I am still really eager to get back to my parents in Minnesota! The end is in sight.

2 comments:

Wu-zy Whatsit said...

So sorry you've been sick! Praying for healing!

Senia said...

Hope you feel better soon! What a terrible time to be sick. :-(