Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Volcano Peaks and Famous Surfers

I'm on my way to being a Hawaii resident! Jeanie and I went to get our state ID cards today, and after a detour to some official building to register to vote (we needed that to prove we live here) and maybe an hour of waiting, we got them! They are pretty :) I didn't really like Wailuku, the city all the government stuff is in, when I first went there, but this time it reminded me a lot of Mombasa--something about how colorful it is, and how the buildings look like they've aged too quickly because they've embraced the sun and heat--and now I'm kind of in love with it.

Yesterday we got up at 5 a.m. and drove up the peak of Haleakala to see the sun rise. It was pretty awesome and beautiful, though being cold and tired isn't my favorite thing. We came back and took a nap, had a crepe breakfast at Cafe Des Amis, and went over to Kihei to try out our boogie boards (since the surf here on the north shore is kind of terrifying--I'm serious, a lot of the time I'm too scared to even swim in it). It was a lot of fun, and I'm sore today! That evening we filled out paperwork at Border's, which took a ridiculously long time, and met our new coworkers. They seem nice, not extremely interesting, but you can't always tell from first impressions.

Retha just told us there's a famous surfer staying at the Lodge, Keala Kennelly. I saw her come in, though of course I didn't know who she was. She's here to surf Jaws. Cool, but if I'm going to see another celebrity, I still want it to be Owen Wilson.

I discovered that Pa'ia means "noise." It is a good name for this town.

I'm sorry, I feel like this post is particularly lame (and my writing style is particularly flat). I've been working a tiny bit on a little personal essay thing, and maybe it's sucked my creative juices out of me.

No comments: