Thursday, January 1, 2009

2009 Musings

Happy new year! I have officially never lived anywhere but Hawaii in the year 2009!

Jeanie and I ended up doing absolutely nothing last night. We started watching Scrubs and got too lazy/tired to join the fun at Jacques. LAME. People go crazy here for new years, though.... There were so many fireworks and bomb-type things going off you couldn't see down the street because of all the smoke.

Today it was finally sunny, so we lay on the beach and watched the surfers. It was pretty awesome, though it makes me want to surf soooooo bad!! After that, we went and cleaned our new place (which, by the way, is named neither #10 or #11 but "Joe Bob's"...that's going to have to change). We got a brand new fridge and a second bed, and with all our hard work cleaning, it's shaping up really nicely. I'd say the only things that really bother me are the cockroaches in the shower and and leaks in the roof, both of which can be taken care of.

My poor computer seems to be on its last leg...as if I'm an expert. This guy Andy, who comes over all the time to work on Mari's broken car, laughed at my optimism that maybe the fan is just dirty and said it's broken and that new fans are expensive. He said to get one of those computer pad things with fans on it...or it will overheat and die. Perhaps I should stop using it so much.

I remembered another random thing I was going to say: things aren't as outrageously expensive here as everyone seems to think. For example, gas is $2.39, about 70 or 80 cents more than in MN (and the Midwest generally has the lowest gas prices in the country). Job pay rates are at least a dollar or two higher per hour than on the mainland, so the higher cost of living here is hardly noticeable.

No comments: