Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Day 3

I'm pretty discouraged right now.


First, apparently this is not only the worst economic year for Hawaii in like 11 years (which was to be expected), but it's also the worst three weeks of the year to apply for jobs. Basically no one is hiring. So I feel like a little bit of an idiot to prance on over here, buy a car, and plan to live for a year or two without even having a job. Everyone keeps telling us, oh if only you had come a year ago, every place was hiring new people every couple months. Great.


Also, my computer is having fan issues. It gets overheated super easily, and a warning finally popped up the last time I turned it on. I don't know what to do if it goes, because I depend on it so much, and I can't afford a new one right now.


Today was an OK day otherwise. We had some troubles in the morning because David, who sold us his (our!) car apparently didn't have a bank account (in the U.S.--he was from Argentina) and discovered he couldn't cash my check, so we had to go to an ATM and take out cash and meet him and exchange cash for the check. Annoying. I'm quickly getting attached to the car, who we've decided is a boy and we are about to name, even though he's still nasty filthy inside and out (no, REALLY. David left a bunch of crap in it, including a water filter, a loaf of very moldy bread, a backpack, some trash....), but I'm trying not to fall in love too much because he could die, after all.


In the late morning, we went to Kahului and registered our car (which went really smoothly--I've never been in and out of a DMV so fast). Then we went to Wailea and lay on the beach outside the fancy resorts for a couple hours, then applied for jobs at Tommy Bahama's, then headed back up here. We wandered around Paia a bit asking about jobs, but no one is hiring here. Argh, it really sucks, especially knowing we just happened to pick the worst possible time in all of history to come.


Our greatest success of the day was that we didn't get lost once in all our driving today. We are getting the hang of the island. Which is actually pretty depressing if we have to leave, jobless, after a month.


I updated my facebook album with a few Maui pics. Click below:

3 comments:

Karyn said...

Hey Kristina! I'm sorry that you're feeling discouraged right now. I know what it's like to step out on a limb and then struggle to make ends meet! I'm feeling the economy up here too with support raising...but God will provide means for both of us if this is what he wants for us. i'll be praying for that as you come to mind.

So crazy about your comp! Mine had a dead motherboard for the past 2.5 months and i thought it was pretty hard to function too. I couldn't afford getting it fixed either (HP ended up fixing it for free though). i hope that you'll be able to get it resovled!

Wu-zy Whatsit said...

hang in there, love--you're off to a great start, it seems! your car looks like he has a great personality. i firmly believe that cars DO have personalities and genders! :) keep up the blogging!

Senia said...

Ditto to Karyn and Kara. Even though you're feeling discouraged (understandable!), I am still envious of your adventure. It sounds like you and Jeanne are doing a great job of figuring out details. Most people probably wouldn't even be THINKING about applying for jobs already, so you're ahead of the game. I am sure something will turn up! Hang in there (and keep blogging!!!) :-)