Monday, December 29, 2008

Giant Clown

Today was an interesting day. The most interesting part was when I ended up carrying half of a six-foot wooden clown from the car of someone I didn't know to a shop I had never heard of. Jeanie and I were on our way to a church in Pukalani to take a civil service test as a first step in a census-taking job. We got there early, so we stopped at this cool-looking furniture store, which ended up being an insanely huge, multiple-warehouse collection of billions of decorative things from celebrities and from Bali--everything from disembodied mannequin legs to a sarcophagus to a $20,000 table, everything stacked two deep and three high. We talked to the owner, and he roped us into helping him cart a huge, heavy clown from his car to add to his collection. Haha, it was crazy.

The census test went well. We both only missed one question, so that gives us a pretty good chance of being at the top of the list of applicants. Oh, I also have an interview at the Grand Wailea tomorrow for a sales associate at a spa store, so job prospects are looking up slightly.

But recently I've been sinking into my pre-counseling self.... Yesterday I felt anxious for the first time since getting here, that nervous agitated sensation. And I'm losing motivation to set up a life here--I just want it to go faster, and I feel like there's something wrong with me that I'm not making friends or being the kind of person I want to be. I'm learning that even when you go after a life you've always wanted and seem to catch hold of it, that doesn't mean you're not still on the outside, looking in.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

thank you for keeping this blog. I learn more from you than from talking with Jeanie on the phone.
Things have got to get better, don't you think? I pray for you guys everyday.
Joni

Jeanie said...

hehe...that giant clown was funny...NOT..he was terrifying...i really wish we would have gotten a picture of it.

Jeanie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.