Tuesday, December 30, 2008

I Love Tropical Rain

I really do love tropical rain.... I have to remember how much infinitely better 65 degrees and rain is than -2o and snow. There has been this massive cloud over the entire island since Christmas, and it gets to me sometimes.

Today I am in an excellent mood. I'm sure I seem to bounce up and down quite a bit on the emotions scale, but nothing has affected me really badly on a deep level. And anyway, I embrace the good and the bad because the experience is so incredible. I still can't believe how normal it feels to live here. Maria said the culture shock sets in after six months for some people, so it could still be down the road.

Last night and today we have spent some good chunks of time just hanging out with people, and that makes a huge difference. I can't believe how blessed we are to have gotten connected with such awesome people (and I am not just saying that because I know some of them might read this). YWAM people are really interesting (blanket statement)--they seem to have a "type" of radical, free Christianity (if there is such a thing) Northwestern underplayed. And I know Jeanie and I will both really miss living in this house with Maria and Bryan and Kieva and Jacob (the roommate we never see and tend to forget about) and now Holly. I've never enjoyed a kid as much as I enjoy Kieva--he's hilarious and endlessly entertaining. Yesterday he told me, "You have a pretty..." (looking me up and down as I brushed my teeth) "...toothbrush." I'm just glad we're only moving two blocks away!

Jeanie and I also met this fascinating guy who's staying at the Lodge. We chatted with him as we waited for our laundry, and he told us about all the traveling he's done. He got into real estate after college and did really well for himself, so now he spends a few months in different parts of the world--he just got done with India, Kenya, and Tanzania, and now he's off to New Zealand after a month or so here. He's really into trying to get to know cultures and understanding corruption and poverty. Seriously, sometimes I feel like I'm in heaven in this community--there are so many global perspectives that I'm overwhelmed. I can hardly express how at home I feel, and how desperately I want people to want to know me as much as I want to know them (does that make any sense?).

My interview for the Grand Wailea spa shop today was very, very short. Other than that, I have no idea how it went. It'd be a good job because, though it's kind of far away, it's casual, so only a couple days a week based on my availability. We'll see...........

No comments: