Thursday, December 11, 2008

Day 4

It's storming today, the second time this year. We couldn't sit inside and go crazy knowing we had so much to do, so we went out in it anyway. We spent a long time at Walmart, getting our oil changed and a tail light replaced, buying some stuff for the car, and setting up checking accounts at American Savings. We stopped at the Kahului mall to see if anyone was hiring and at Savers to get pillowcases and sheets to cover up the digsusting seats in the car. Then we had lunch at home and came over to Anthony's Coffee to use their wireless. It's nice to be in a coffee shop--feels so normal.

Maui Dive Shop called me today to come in for an interview on Sunday. The manager described the salesperson job in some detail because it requires a pretty major commitment and I'm sure they have to weed out a lot of transitory people. It would be full time, require lots of training, be on commission (yuck), and have the best perks imaginable: free (though somewhat limited, of course) access to everything--scuba, snorkeling, boats, helicopters, ziplines. I'd be insane to pass it up if I was offered the job, right? It's harder than you'd think to make a decision, though. I love Paia, and I'd be sad to move from an awesome funky hippie town where I actually know some people to the boring tourist area where I know no one. The commute from Paia to Kihei would be up to an hour every day, and shifts are random, some starting at 5 a.m. If we stayed here, it would be hard to work out transportation unless Jeanie and I got another car. Also, the work trade thing still appeals to me, though less than before. I hate making (extremely difficult) decisions. I have to let go of the notion that there is a "best" choice. Whatever choice is made is the best one, or else life is too full of regrets.

But still a huge part of me is dying to stay in Paia, do housekeeping, work in a coffee shop.... If only that was an option. If only it was a year earlier. Regret.

No comments: